|Many lawyers will advise clients to follow these ten basic rules after an accident.
1. Report the accident to the police and/or your employer immediately.
2. Obtain the name, address, phone number and insurance information from the responsible party.
3. Obtain the names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses to the accident.
4. Have photographs taken of your injuries, the scene of the accident, and the vehicle or machine you were operating at the time of the accident.
5. Call your insurance agent to report the accident.
6. If you are hurt, seek medical attention. Explain your injuries in full to your healthcare professional.
7. Do not discuss the accident with anyone other than the investigating officer, your doctor or your own insurance company representative.
8. If you suspect the responsible party may be under the influence of alcohol, report it to the investigating officer immediately.
9. Make notes of any statements made by the responsible party after the accident.
10. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE CONSULTED WITH A LAWYER.